What Is Entity Framework Core?
Entity Framework (EF) Core is a lightweight, extensible, and cross-platform version of Entity Framework.
Entity Framework Core (EF Core) is a complete rewrite of EF6 that was first released in 2016. It ships in Nuget packages, the main one being Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.
Entity Framework (EF) Core is a lightweight, extensible, open source and cross-platform version of the popular Entity Framework data access technology.
EF Core was designed to provide a developer experience similar to EF6.
Most of the top-level APIs remain the same, so EF Core will feel familiar to developers who have used EF6.
Installing Entity Framework Core
What Is Entity Framework?
Entity Framework is an object-relational mapper (O/RM) that enables .NET developers to work with a database using .NET objects. It eliminates the need for most of the data-access code that developers usually need to write.
What Are the EF6 features which are not supported in EF Core 2.0?
1. EDMX/ Graphical Visualization of Model
2. Entity Data Model Wizard (for DB-First approach)
3. ObjectContext API
4. Querying using Entity SQL
5. Automated Migration
6. Inheritance: Table per type (TPT)
7. Inheritance: Table per concrete class (TPC)
8. Many-to-Many without join entity
9. Entity Splitting
10. Spatial Data
11. Lazy loading of related data
12. Stored procedure mapping with DbContext for CUD operation
13. Seed data
14. Automatic migration
What are the EF Core features which are not supported in EF 6?
EF Core offers new features that won't be implemented in EF6:
1. Easy relationship configuration
2. Batch INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE operations
3. In-memory provider for testing
4. Support for IoC (Inversion of Control)
5. Unique constraints
6. Shadow properties
7. Alternate keys
8. Global query filter
9. Field mapping
10. DbContext pooling
11. Better patterns for handling disconnected entity graphs
What following features and concepts EF Core continues to support, same as EF 6?
3. Data Model
4. Querying using Linq-to-Entities
5. Change Tracking
What's New in Entity Framework (EF) Core 3.0?
1. LINQ improvements
2. Cosmos DB support
3. Dependent entities sharing the table with the principal are now optional
4. C# 8.0 support
5. Reverse engineering of database views
6. Property bag entities
7. Entity Framework 6 (EF 6.3) on .NET Core
What's New in .NET Core 3.0 Features?
For more FAQs about EF Core including 3.0